The mouth watering aroma of succulent vegetables marinated in just the right amount of spices; the rich flavor of basmati rice, the crunchy bite of fried cashew nuts all in one dish! Here is a flavorful Shahi Sabz Biryani recipe that will effortlessly rule everybody’s palate on your Saturday dinner party.
Biryani makes one imagine long hours of chopping, marinating, frying and performing various other cooking processes. Fret not! for we know how difficult that can be. We have carefully and patiently developed a recipe that will produce the perfect Biryani without having to sweat it out in the kitchen.
Homemade Shahi Sabz Biryani
Serves: 6-8 people
Nutritive Value: 320 calories/bowl
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Half kg of basmati rice
- 2 cups chopped vegetables (carrots, French beans, cauliflower, green peas)
- 2 large potatoes (chopped cubes)
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Mixture of 1 tsp each coriander powder and cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp biryani masala
- 1 and a half cup thick curd whisked
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves (पुदिना पत्ता)
- Ghee as per taste
- 1 tsp cumin (शाह ज़ीरा) seeds
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 large onions thinly sliced and fried
- A fistful of fried cashewnuts
- 3/4 cup of milk
- Few strands of saffron
- 4-5 bay leaves
- 6-8 cloves
- 8-10 black pepper corns
- 3-4 black cardamom
- Begin by soaking basmati rice in adequate water and setting it aside for about 30 minutes. This helps each rice grain to absorb water and eases the cooking procedure.
- Place a thick bottomed pressure cooker on the cooking stove and heat it on medium flame. Allow the oil to heat well as this will help to roast all spices properly.
- Add cumin (शाह ज़ीरा) seeds when the oil is hot enough. Roast the seeds till there is a delicious aroma wafting in your kitchen.
- Saute finely chopped onions in the same oil for a minute before adding ginger garlic paste.
- Let the onions and ginger garlic paste saute for another 5 minutes. Add all whole spices and veggies and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and biryani masala. Ensure that the spice powders coat all vegetables evenly.
- Pour whisked curd into the pressure cooker and mix well. Ensure that you keep the stove on low flame while adding curd.
- Add salt, stir the mixture for a while and keep half of it aside.
- Spread the remaining vegetable mixture to form an even layer at the bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Use half of the soaked rice to form an even layer over the vegetable mixture.
- Spread some chopped coriander, mint leaves (पुदिना पत्ता) and add cashewnuts.
- Take the remaining half of vegetable mixture and spread it over the rice.
- Over the second layer of vegetables spread the remaining soaked rice. Ensure that the rice is evenly spread and it doesnt form a mound over the vegetables.
- Take warm milk in a glass and mix a few strands of saffron in it. Pour this milk over the top most layer of rice.
- Take the remaining coriander, mint leaves (पुदिना पत्ता) and cashew nuts and spread it evenly over the layer of rice.
- Adding the final layer of fried onions makes this dish ready for cooking.
- Add water till you see it just above the level of rice. Sprinkle biryani masala and salt as per taste before setting the lid.
- Cook the biryani for 35-40 minutes on low flame, irrespective of the number of whistles.
- Garnish the biryani with a dollop of ghee, some coriander leaves and serve with chilled curd.
If you’re one of those who prefer watching over reading, here is the recipe video!
- Sprinkle some rose water after cooking Biryani and let it infuse well for 10 minutes before serving the dish.
- Prepare yummy vegetable raita to serve with the Biryani.
- Add succulent pieces of Paneer to the vegetable mixture for the most delicious version of easy Paneer Biryani.