Bread is the most underrated food item ever. Despite so many lip smacking dishes to prepare using it, bread is mostly used to make different types of sandwiches. How about taking your good ol’ slice of bread and turning it into one of the most loved dishes?
How about making some yummy bread uttappam? Surprised? The dish tastes like it has come straight out of food heaven. And no more waiting to soak the batter for uttapam overnight! Read the recipe given below and prepare bread uttapam, any time you get the craving!!
Veg Bread Uttapam
Serves: 2 people
Nutritional Value: 100 calories per uttappam
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 tablespoon rava (semolina)
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- A pinch of baking soda
- 3/4th cup shredded vegetables (carrots and cabbage)
- Finely chopped green chillies as per taste
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
- Oil/Ghee as required
- Ketchup for serving
- Cut slices of bread into small pieces and grind them into a coarse powder.
- Blend the powder using adequate water and make a smooth, thick paste.
- Mix some rice flour and semolina into the batter and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- If the batter is too thick, adjust its consistency by adding water.
- Heat a pan and add some uttappam batter on it.
- Spread evenly using a ladle to form a circular shape.
- Spread shredded vegetables, coriander and green chilies over the batter.
- Allow the uttappam to roast well and then turn it over to roast the other side.
- Use oil or ghee to roast the uttappam till it becomes crisp and brown.
- Serve hot uttappams with ketchup.
Watch the full recipe of Veg Bread Uttapam below.
- Add some fruit salt or baking soda to the batter for more fluffy uttappams.
- Include other veggies like tomatoes, onions, capsicum, to enhance the taste of uttappam.
- The batter should not be watery, as this will not allow for a thick uttappam to form.